Advanced: compare to quote from your bank ?

Top 3 Money Transfer Providers for UK to USA

Provider Amount Received Fee Exchange Rate Speed
TorFX TorFX USD $12,583.27 No Fee 1.2583 1-3 days more...
OFX (UK) OFX (UK) USD $12,532.68 No Fee 1.2533 1-3 days more...
Currencies Direct Currencies Direct USD $12,583.27 No Fee 1.2583 1-3 days more...
FXcompared Country Guides
There are no exchange controls in the UK for the pound sterling (GBP), and transferring money to the UK and sending money from the UK is very easy Read More

UK Money Transfer Guide

UK to USA Guide

Top 5 Money Transfer Providers

Latest prices for transferring money from UK to USA


Est. 1998

OFX provides secure and speedy international money transfers to over 300,000 people in 55 currencies at better-than-bank rates.

More InfoLess Info


Est. 1990
Established in 1990, Venstar is a worldwide leader in Foreign Exchange Payments and Services.
More InfoLess Info
FXcompared Rating


Est. 2009

Use the code '3FREE' and pay no fees on your first three money transfers

WorldRemit is an online service that lets people send money to friends and family living abroad, using a computer, smartphone or tablet.

More InfoLess Info


Est. 2011

Remitly is a leading remittance focused player headquartered in the USA. Recipients can receive money by bank deposit, cash pick up, mobile money, or home delivery

More InfoLess Info
FXcompared Rating


Est. 2004

Transparency and security | Great customer feedback rating from Feefo

More InfoLess Info
Start your transfer
with OFX

First to third party transfer restrictions

If you are new to using an overseas money transfer provider and you are sending dollars from the US to a third party outside of the US (for example, a lawyer for a property transaction), be sure that the provider is regulated to be able to send your funds to an account that is not in your name. These restrictions do not apply if you are sending money within the US.

US federal financial regulation

Monetary and financial regulation in the US reflects its federal organisation. The territory is divided into 12 districts, each with its own Federal Reserve Bank. At the national level, a five-member Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (the Fed) oversees the entire financial system. The Fed directs national monetary policy, works to preserve national foreign exchange reserves, and monitors price stability.

In addition to the Federal Reserve system, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency oversee the banking sector at the state and federal levels. A separate agency, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), regulates capital markets.

Buying property in the US

If you are looking to buy or sell real estate in the US, there are several things to bear in mind. Find yourself a good local agent. Compared to commissions in other countries, expect US real estate commission to be much higher – often up to 6%, which is usually paid for by the seller. Mortgages have become much harder to obtain in recent years, and you will need both a history of US credit and proof of sustainable income (best shown with US tax returns). If you are planning to rent and have just moved to the US, then be sure to send money to the US in advance of closing as deposits on apartments need to be made very fast.

You do not need to be a resident to buy property in the US – the only requirement is that you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

Visas and work permits for the US

If you are planning to move to the US for work or to study, then you will need to obtain a visa. The visa application process for the US is complex, expensive and can often take many months – sometimes more than a year. You will need to seek advice from an immigration lawyer as to what visa options are open to you depending on what you plan to do. Moving over through sponsorship of a large international firm or studying at a well-known US university will usually provide the smoothest paths to an initial visa. It is also possible to be sponsored by a family member or friend who is already living in the US, but this can require additional financial commitments on their part if you do not meet the criteria required.

Most US visas are capped to last only a certain number of years, and after a certain period of time, you will need to decide whether you can stay and if you are eligible to apply for permanent residence, more colloquially known as a Green Card. You will need to obtain health insurance. This may be provided by an employer, and if you are a student, you can purchase this through your university.

Taxation in the US

Residents of the US are taxed on their worldwide income. If you are selling assets overseas and repatriating the funds back to the US, then it is worth considering whether this will have any taxation implications for you, both in the US and in the country that the funds are coming from.

Taxation is taken at both a federal and state level. This means that various different aspects of your income can be taxed slightly different between states, though federal taxes will obviously remain constant across the country as a whole.


The US monetary unit is the US dollar (USD, symbol $), made up of 100 cents. Banknotes are printed in denominations of $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. Coins are minted in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 and $1.

USA to individual country guides

Review our money transfer guides below to help you on specific items such as moving from the US, transferring as an expat, studying abroad, retiring, or doing business between each country. Specific guidance on money transfers between each country is also provided.

Money Transfer USA to Australia

Money Transfer USA to Canada

Money Transfer USA to China

Money Transfer USA to Colombia

Money Transfer USA to Dubai

Money Transfer USA to France

Money Transfer USA to Hong Kong

Money Transfer USA to India

Money Transfer USA to Italy

Money Transfer USA to Japan

Money Transfer USA to Mexico

Money Transfer USA to New Zealand

Money Transfer USA to Poland

Money Transfer USA to Singapore

Money Transfer USA to Spain

Money Transfer USA to UK

Money Transfer USA to Venezuela

Did you know?

The USD is one of the oldest currencies in continuous use, having first been issued in 1792 by the US Federal Reserve.

Start your transfer
with OFX

Frequently Asked Questions

Are the money transfer companies shown above safe to use?

All of the money transfer companies and services listed above are fully safe to use. Each of the above are authorised and regulated by the relevant financial authorities in each jurisdiction and are licensed to provide transfer services.

How long does an international money transfer take?

The length of time it takes to fully complete a money transfer will depend entirely on the service used and what currency you want to transfer. Transfers sent using banks — such as bank to bank transfers — will typically be quite quick, often taking between 1–2 working days. For more precise estimates, you should always check the estimated time with the relevant provider. Debit card and credit card payments might also take less time.

How do I use FXcompared?

To use FXCompared to make a money transfer from UK to USA, the first step is to use the above table to compare the rates from the various providers. To find the best provider to transfer GBP to USD, consider factors including price, speed and its overall rating. Once you have made a decision, simply click the green button to get taken through to the provider’s website. From there, you will be able to sign-up and register for an account. Once the verification process is complete, you can initiate the transfer.

What payments methods can I use to send money overseas?

The majority of transfers overseas will be made using a bank to bank transfer, although there are a number of other methods available. This includes cash, debit and credit card, as well as digital wallets. The methods available to you will depend on what provider you chose to make the transfer with.

What if the price shown above isn’t exactly what I am offered when I try to transfer money?

Although the prices shown above are generally accurate with market rates in real time, there may be some slight differences when you finalise your order. Exchange rates will fluctuate over the course of the trading day based on real-time market data. As such, when you are looking to transfer money to UK from US, for example, there may sometimes be a delay in how they are reported. Price fluctuations may also be caused by the individual site in question, depending on what services they have available.

Start your transfer
with OFX

Latest Money Transfer News Articles for US

Currency Converter


Your Feedback

We welcome all suggestions for improvements. Send us an email at

All the providers listed are regulated by the relevant authority (e.g. the FCA in the UK, FinCEN in the US, ASIC in Australia) and have been vetted by FXcompared. is an fx money comparison site for international money transfer and to compare rates from currency brokers for sending money abroad. The website and the information provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer, solicitation or advice on any financial service or transaction. None of the information presented is intended to form the basis for any investment decision, and no specific recommendations are intended.  FXC Group Ltd and FX Compared Ltd does not provide any guarantees of any data from third parties listed on this website. FX compared Ltd expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any direct or consequential loss or damage of any kind whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from (i) any error, omission or inaccuracy in any such information or (ii) any action resulting therefrom.