Select country...

Select country...

Select country...

Select country...


Top 3 Money Transfer Providers for USA to UK

Provider Amount Received Fee Exchange Rate Speed
OFX (US) OFX (US) GBP £7,869.62 No Fee 0.787 1-4 days more...
Venstar Venstar GBP £7,960.98 No Fee 0.7961 1-3 days more...
Average US Bank Average US Bank GBP £7,758.64 No Fee 0.7759 1-5 days more...
FXcompared Country Guides
See all guides here
The dollar, the world’s most traded currency, is held on a free-float exchange rate and is fully convertible to foreign currencies Read More
There are no exchange controls in the UK for the pound sterling (GBP), and transferring money to the UK and sending money from the UK is very easy Read More
See all guides here How we make money / Advertising Disclosure

Top 3 Money Transfer Providers

Latest prices for transferring money from USA to UK
Exchange Rates as of 27 March 2020, 21:54


Est. 1998

OFX provides secure and speedy international money transfers to over 300,000 people in 55 currencies at better-than-bank rates.

More InfoLess Info
Amount Received
GBP £7,869.62
USD $102.98
saved vs. banks


Est. 1990
Established in 1990, Venstar is a worldwide leader in Foreign Exchange Payments and Services.
More InfoLess Info
Amount Received
GBP £7,960.98
USD $216.76
saved vs. banks

Average US Bank

Est. 1900

Average of the top US Banks costs as compiled by our own FXC Intelligence group

More InfoLess Info
Amount Received
GBP £7,758.64
No saving vs. banks

How to Transfer Money from USA to UK

What is in this guide

USA to UK Guide


Whatever the reason – whether it is to fund university study, buy property, repatriate salary or profits from the sale of property, or pay for imports – it is very easy to transfer money from the US to the UK. Money transfer companies must be registered on a state-by-state basis, but otherwise there are no restrictions on sending money to the UK, and plenty of money transfer providers.

Visas and immigration

The UK and US visa systems can be complex. Most people moving to the other country to work, however, will be sponsored by a company that will handle the process. If you are planning on moving to the UK to work and are considering sending funds to finance this, then you will need to obtain a valid visa. The UK has a points-based visa system. When moving to the UK, the most common type of work visa is a Tier 2, which covers, among other things, inter-company transfers and people with new job offers. The latter is the General visa, for which there is a quota, currently of 20,700 (unless the job pays over £150,000). The Tier 1 visa is aimed at a small number of “high-value migrants” such as entrepreneurs and investors – entrepreneurs are required to have access to at least £50,000 in capital, while investors are required to have at least £1m of disposable funds (income and proceeds from such investments can be sent back to the US).

If moving to the US, the most common visas are non-immigrant visas, where you are either sponsored by your UK company (L class visas) or are moving over to work for a US firm sponsoring you (H class visas). Students obtain F visas, and there are also E class visas available for investment and entrepreneurial activities. You will need to have obtained your visa before you can start work in the US. Further details are on the USCIS website.

Banking, money and taxes

To open a bank account in the UK in order to receive funds, you will need proof of income and employment, evidence of a local address, and your passport. The introduction of the US’s Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) in mid-2014 has made opening a foreign bank account harder, however, as the regulatory demands have become a big deterrent for the banks. FATCA requires that foreign banks, investment funds and insurers – or in some cases, such as the UK, the national revenue agency – hand over to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) information about accounts with over US$50,000 held by Americans.

If moving to or establishing a business in the US, opening a bank account there, even from the UK, from which to send funds back to the UK is a little more straightforward. It may be easier, especially if you will be in a major city, to open an account with one of the larger UK banks such as HSBC or Santander, which took over Sovereign Bank in the US. Alternatively, you could open an account in the UK with one of a handful of US banks such as Citigroup and Chase, which have some branches in the UK, albeit mostly in London. Once you have this account set up, it will provide you with an easy-to-use base for any funds earned in the UK as well as any overseas money transfers that you make from the US into the UK.

Unlike some US banks, UK banks do not charge for the majority of small transactions, such as issuing cheques and drawing money from ATMs. In the UK, most credit cards come with a chip and PIN (remember your PIN!) as opposed to many US credit cards, which still require a signature when making a purchase.

The UK tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April of the following year, whereas the US tax year is a calendar year. This difference will have implications for your tax planning. There is a double tax treaty between the UK and the US, but this does not mean that you will be able to receive allowances on all taxable items. This is a very important area to plan in advance of moving over to the UK from the US, especially if you are considering buying a property or investing and will be transferring a significant amount of dollars to pounds and watching the dollar exchange rate. Currently, Brexit has lowered the value of GBP to a much lower rate, so Americans are able to get more pounds for their dollar than in the past.

Buying property in the UK

The UK has become an increasingly attractive place for foreigners to invest in property. For some overseas purchasers, this could be because of a desire to acquire residential property for their own and/or family’s occupation, or for investment. Commercial property is also seen as an attractive investment. There are few restrictions on foreign nationals or overseas companies buying or renting property, with the main considerations being related to tax. As such, it is recommended that you engage specialist tax advice in advance of your property search, whether private residential or commercial investment, particularly if you or a company are non-resident in the UK.

Studying in the UK

The UK is the favourite destination for Americans studying overseas, with the total number enrolled at all levels having risen 13% since the 2008/09 academic year to 16,233 in 2012/13. American students make up 5% of all non-EU students in the UK. Postgraduate study is more popular than undergraduate, but the latter is growing faster. Shorter degrees – typically three years for undergraduate and one year for a Masters – not only take less time but also costs less. Currently, the average annual cost per year of study in the UK for international students is just over US$31,000, of which two-thirds are fees and the rest living costs – this compares favourably with the average total cost in the US of US$38,516 per year, and federal loans and most US scholarships can be used to fund study in the UK. Another attraction of study in the UK is the ease of visiting continental Europe, with lots of cheap flights available. The top five UK universities hosting US students are St Andrews, Oxford, Edinburgh, University College London, and Westminster. The potential lack of EU membership should have very little impact on American students in relation to studying in the UK.

A Tier 4 (General) student visa is required to study in the UK. Once you have a place at an accredited institution, the process of applying is simple, but you have to be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient savings to fund your course and cost of living. Part-time employment of up to 20 hours a week in term time is allowed on a Tier 4 (though you can work full-time in a non-permanent role during term breaks and pursue a sandwich course). When your course finishes, you can work full-time hours for up to four months. You can also bring dependents on a Tier 4 but must be able to demonstrate sufficient savings to cover them too.

Importing from the UK to the US

The UK is a major source of imports to the US, with the US$52.5bn worth of goods and services flowing westwards in 2013 accounting for 2.3% of total imports into the US. The UK and the US have their own bilateral trade relations but also work through the EU. When importing goods from the UK, you will need to declare your imports to customs and pay VAT and duty on them. Some goods may require an import licence. Given the volume of trade between the two countries, there are many options available when financing imports, transferring money to the UK, and organising shipping. However, despite this level of trade, this is through an EU trade deal. As the current Brexit situation is up in the air, there are no guarantees that the current levels of trade will be maintained or that there will remain minimal tariffs on trade between the two nations.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are the money transfer companies shown above safe to use?

Yes, all the companies are safe and fully-regulated money transfer services. Each are authorised and regulated by the relevant authority such as the Financial Conduct Authority(FCA) in the UK, FinCEN in the US, FinTRAC in Canada or ASIC in Australia.

How long does an international money transfer take?

The speed of delivery will depend on where the money is being from and to and how you are sending and receiving the money. Transfers sent using bank to bank transfers can depend take anywhere from minutes to days and you should check the time estimates from the relevant provider. Debit and credit card payments sometimes allow for faster transfers for smaller amounts.

How do I use FXcompared?

First review the comparison results (such as for a table above) for a given amount of money sending from USA to UK. Then select a provider based on factors such as price, speed, their rating and click the green button to be taken to their website. From there, you can register and sign up for an account. Once you have done that and the provider has verified your identity to ensure the money can be send safely, you will be ready to transfer money.

What payments methods can I use to send money overseas?

The results shown above are typically for bank to bank transfers. It is possible via some providers to pay in your funds for the transfer via cash, debit or credit cards as well but this is usually reserved for smaller amounts. Some providers also give you different options for how the money will be received - to a bank account (most common), to a debit card, to cash or to a digital or mobile wallet.

What if the price shown above isn’t exactly what I am offered when I try to transfer money?

There can be a number of reasons why the final price you are offered may be different to that shown in the table above. Exchange rates between two currencies change all the time and is the most common reason. Additionally, some providers offer different pricing depending what method you are using to send funds or how the funds will be received. Others may offer you a premium service for faster payments. In some cases FXcompared has a special rate with a provider and this is reserved for first time customers who sign up to the provider starting from FXcompared’s website. As prices do change often, be sure to confirm the total cost with the provider before transferring money.

Your Feedback

We welcome all suggestions for improvements. Send us an email at

Latest Money Transfer News for USA

Notify me when rates change
Get free rate alerts

Currency Converter


All the providers listed are regulated by the relevant authority (e.g. the FCA in the UK, FinCEN in the US, ASIC in Australia) and have been vetted by FXcompared. is an fx money comparison site for international money transfer and to compare rates from currency brokers for sending money abroad. The website and the information provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer, solicitation or advice on any financial service or transaction. None of the information presented is intended to form the basis for any investment decision, and no specific recommendations are intended.  FXC Group Ltd and FX Compared Ltd does not provide any guarantees of any data from third parties listed on this website. FX compared Ltd expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any direct or consequential loss or damage of any kind whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from (i) any error, omission or inaccuracy in any such information or (ii) any action resulting therefrom.